Florence Shovel Shinn wrote the manuscript for The Magic Path of Intuition sometime before her death in 1940, leaving it undiscovered until 2012. In her heyday, she was a respected New Thought leader and metaphysical writer, better known for The Game of Life and How to Play It.
Louise Hay, a leader of her own generation in New Thought, received the unpublished manuscript by chance and decided to publish it because Shinn’s work was so formative to her own—Hay is known for her own 1984 classic self-help book You Can Heal Your Life. Sadly, Hay passed away in 2017. (I was unaware until just now that Louise Hay was deceased. What a terrible loss for all those Hay has helped over the years…though she was 90.)
Though the verbatim, unedited text from Shinn at least 70 years old, it still holds relevance for today’s challenges—perhaps more than ever before. As our lives have become more virtual, digitally dispersed and curated, and interactions happen both face-to-face and through screens, it’s easy to become overstimulated, overwhelmed, and inadequate.
Defaulting to negativity, fear, anxiety, and resentment is too easy. I struggle with these feelings often, especially over the last twelve months, which has been a rough-and-tumble period on many fronts. A dear friend handed me The Magic Path of Intuition when it was clear to her I needed some spiritual help to settle my conscious mind and help focus and intend on positive things.
If you have ever felt hopeless, the gently authoritative tone of this book will immediately ease your frantic mind. It’s a short read, structured almost as a novelty booklet (brightly illustrated, thick pages, large font text, only 107 pages). I recommend you read it, whether or not you consider yourself a spiritualist.
What’s there to lose, if nothing happens? And if it helps, how worthwhile. For my own purposes and for your convenience, I have copied each of the affirmations into a bullet list, for quick reference.
First I wrote them all out in my journal (pen and paper are so important for absorption and retention), and now here…
- “In the morning, I’ll know just what to do.”
To the (Often Overactive) Conscious Mind
- “Stand still and see the power within me.”
- “My goodwill is a strong tower around me. I now change all enemies into friends. All inharmony into harmony. All injustice into justice.”
- “God is my supply; big, happy financial surprises now come to me.”
- “I give thanks that the Universe is my supply; and I am now linked with endless streams of steady, ready money, under grace, in perfect ways. I shall not want, for my supply precedes me. Faith must become a habit”
- “Today is the day of my amazing good fortune.”
- “As money goes out, I touch a hidden spring which releases large sums of money to return to me, under grace, in miraculous ways.”
- “What God has done before, he can do for me and more.”
- “The tide has turned to stay, for the universe has a right of way.”
On Intentions and Outcomes
- “The power within sweeps out of my mind, body, and affairs everything not divinely planned, and puts my house in order, now and forevermore!”
- “The sun now comes out in my mind and body, and I see clearly the fulfillment of my heart’s desire.”
- “I am now immune to all hurts and frustrations. The power within is perfect peace and perfect poise.”
- “I see vividly my immediate and endless supply. It all comes from a higher power, and all doors fly open! All channels are free. I see vividly my radiant health, perfect and permanent. I see vividly my heart’s desires come to pass in the twinkling of an eye.”
- “The light of light streams through my mind, body, and affairs, revealing all in divine order. I see clearly there are no obstacles on my pathway. I see clearly the open road to fulfillment.”
- “I am now on the ground that walks, which takes me right to my promised land, in a magical way.”
On Breaking Up Old Thought Forms
- “I give thanks for my whirlwind success. I sweep all before me, for I work with the spirit and follow the divine plan of my life. The decks are cleared for divine action.”
- “I am magnetized by the universe. I have and hold, from this day forth, all that is mine by divine right.”
- “All things are possible here and now. I now attain the seemingly unattainable.”
On Health and Happiness
- “Now is the appointed time. Today is the day of amazing prosperity.”
- “A wonderful joy is on its way, and this wonderful joy comes to stay.”
- “The light of lights streams through my mind, body, and affairs, revealing all in divine order. My heart is a happy heart, a fearless heart, a forgiving heart, a kind heart, in its right place, doing its right work.”
On The Future
- “The tide has turned to stay, for God has a right of way.”
- “Let the divine design of my life flash into my conscious mind. Let me see clearly the perfect plan.”
- “The universal power is in my ship. I now sail fearlessly in unknown seas.”
- “I am wide awake to my good. I never miss a trick.”
- “I call on the law of forgiveness. I am free from mistakes. I am under grace and not under karmic law.”
- “The light of infinite intelligence steams through my consciousness, dissolving and dissipating all anger and resentment. I am at peace with myself and with the whole world.”
- “As I am one with the all-powerful spirit, I am one with my good, for spirit is my good in immediate action.”
On Infinite Intelligence
- “Reveal to me the great magician’s storehouse. I now use the field glasses of the spirit.”
- “There is nothing too good for me!”
The Fourth Dimension
- “I desire only the divine ideas that come to pass, under grace and in perfect ways.”
There is much, much more wisdom and explanation in the full text of The Magic Path of Intuition, but a handy listing of all the affirmations is good for daily recital.
Shinn mixes terms like “the universe” and “God” and “divine plan” to refer to the nebulous influencer of our lives. Peeling back the social construction of church and religion, it’s clear the act of prayer, faith, and trust, whether in a universal force affected by planets, energy fields, and the mind power of humans, or in God are basically the same concept, with plenty of parallels.
While I have always felt fulfilled without an organized faith, these affirmations are a sort of faith I understand and am open to following.
Other mindful habits like yoga, meditation, and practicing gratitude, forgiveness, and kindness are things that make me happier and healthier, and ensure that I am improving the world with my existence rather than spouting anger and aggression, which the world has too much of already.