For all the long-term plans and dreams we have, it’s easy to miss today. This hour, this minute. I try to slow down, savor the small things that make life wonderful, because the alternative is always waiting for something to sweep you off your feet (and that time never comes usually).
Sure, things can’t always be beautiful, or entertaining. But, for a small investment, you can easily add a bit of I’m on top of my shit to your day.
- Buy fresh flowers. Or an orchid. Having natural light nearby will help this one last longer than today.
- Wash your car. I hate to sound like my dad, but having a clean car really does make $20k look like $50k.
- Be nice to someone. Hold the door, give a compliment. Help someone else lift his or her day, and lift your own.
- Play with a dog or cat. Since almost everyone I know has one of these, I’m only repeating because it really is true. They don’t judge, don’t discriminate.
- Write a personal letter/card. Get your feelings out the olden-timey way, using stamps and everything. Someone will text you in a few days to express their shock.
- Indulge. Have that cupcake, enjoy that beer. It won’t last all day, and keep yourself in check, but just allowing yourself a little slack helps your brain relax.
- Sit quietly. Drop the phone. Ignore the iPad. Turn off the TV or radio, and just sit. Stare at the ceiling. Let your mind clear before proceeding.