Here are a list of ‘always good and reliable’ vehicles that you can rest assured will be stylish, well-made, and reasonably inexpensive to maintain in the longrun:
- W123 (1977-1985) Mercedes E-class (300E, 300D, 240D)
- W124 (1986-1995) Mercedes E-class, preferably post-facelift (1994-1995) (E300 Diesel, E320, E420); *rarest color combo: lipstick red with saddle (medium brown) interior
- W202 (1994-2000) Mercedes C-Class, preferably post-facelift (1998-2000) (C230, C230 Kompressor, C280); *rarest color combo: white with blue interior
- 1st and 2nd generation Mini Cooper, all models (Cooper, Clubman, Convertible)
- E46 (1999-2005) BMW 3-series (323i, 325i, 328i, 330i); *favorite model: 2005 325i, base model with manual transmission and few if any options – pure!
- Toyota Land Cruiser (or similar Lexus LX470 and GX470), from the early 1990s through today
- Land Rover Defender (produced since 1983)
Of course, if you’ve already found yourself a car that has endured the years and still looks great, then bravo! My mom actually drives (part-time) a 12-year old Ford Explorer that refuses to die. Go figure.